Wednesday, October 15, 2008

1/20th Acre Farm


Below is a scaled layout of my 1/20th acre Metro Farm in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Nothing more than a typical suburban back yard. I've been growing herbs and assorted vegetables for the past ten years, nothing serious. This year I put in the large rectangular raised bed and grew tomatoes from seed for the first time.I was amazed at the production I got from 130 sq. ft. of additional garden space, and I have decided to work on a multi year experiment to see how much I can produce on 1/20th of an acre using 100% organic growing principles. I am going to add additional raised beds and build a small greenhouse. I currently use a single compost bin, and that will be expanded to a multi stage compost system so that I can produce my own garden soil.

No comments: