Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wheat Grass



I wanted to cultivate Wheat Grass indoors over the winter months but I never got around to it. Last weekend I sowed some seeds in several large pots outside and within a week's time I have shoots almost ready to harvest. I don't have a juicer. I plan to simply chew on these grasses to extract the juice. This is not a very common way to ingest Wheat Grass juice because most people don't like chewing on a mouthful of grass for several minutes, but it doesn't bother me at all. I actually enjoy it. After the juice is extracted, you simply spit out the remaining grasses.

Wheatgrass refers to the young grass of the common wheat plant, Triticum aestivum, that is freshly juiced or dried into powder for animal and human consumption. Both provide chlorophyll, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes. Claims about wheatgrass' health benefits range from providing supplemental nutrition to having unique curative properties.

The Benefits of Wheat Grass




Botanical Interests Wheat Grass Seeds

4 comments:

Molly said...

This is really a great blog! Where are you located? I am from Chicago and would love to learn more about metro farming around here!

Molly

Christopher Paquette said...

Thanks Molly! I'm just outside Philadelphia. I hope this blog can help you with some ideas for growing healthy foods where you live. Thanks for following!

Lisa said...

The claims on the site you link to are pretty miraculous. Reverses greying of the hair? Increases red blood cell counts by soaking in the juice? Crazy!

Christopher Paquette said...

agreed... obviously they are selling the stuff. I can't vouch for those claims, but I do like the vitamin and mineral benefits.

I won't be soaking in the juice any time soon! lol