Tuesday, September 15, 2009

CSA updates...

Wow... Week 16 of the vegetable shares from Pennypack Farm! As you may know from previous posts, each week I have taken a portrait of everything I have brought home from the farm. Not always something I have felt like doing after a long day, but I haven't missed a single week yet. I had a feeling that seeing the documentation of a full season of produce from a small farm, on a week to week basis, would be an interesting study. Maybe you have to be an obsessed gardener like me to appreciate this photo study. The set of 16 weekly portraits can be seen here... Veggie Shares 2009. Five weeks to go to complete the season!



Here is the fruit share for this week. I was particularly amazed by the pear shaped apples and I can't wait to try them...



Descriptions of this week's fruit share from North Star Orchard...

Liberty Apples (green with some red blush). Tart and very crisp, we like these better than Granny Smith as they have more apple-ly flavor, plus they're tart and crunchy. Use them for fresh eating or in cooking. They're great in apple cake!

Adam's Pearmain Apples (goldish-green russeted variety with some pink blush). This is a classic antique variety, and it sure packs the flavor! I wouldn't call it tart, necessarily, but it's certainly not sweet. Sugary-tart perhaps, with an intense and aromatic flavor. Addictive!

Encore Peaches (yellow with red blush) Allow to soften for 1 to 3 days on the counter.

Sugar Giant Peaches (dark red outside, white inside). Our last variety of white peaches for the year. Savor every bite!
Allow to soften for 1 to 3 days on the counter.

Hosui Asian Pears - Super-sweet and yummy! Eat these right away or store them in the fridge to eat later in the week after you've finished your peaches. I eat these skin and all; there's really no bitterness to the skin as there is in some other Asian pear varieties. Have a napkin handy!

No comments: