Sunday, September 27, 2009

Salsa Verde



Earlier in the week I hand picked some Tomatillos at Pennypack Farm. There were no more regular Tomatoes being offered so I decided to try these as there were plenty of them out in the fields. Once I brought them home, I had no idea what to do with them. Several people suggested making a Salsa Verde, and after looking up a few recipes found that this looked like a fairly easy way to work with this strange and unknown fruit.

I started out by roasting about twenty Tomatillos, and a couple mild green peppers. I did this on a small grill rack directly over my gas range...



I love the smell of fire roasted vegetables...



Once I had finished roasting the Tomatillos, Peppers, and some Green Onions, I combined them into a food processor with a couple cloves of Garlic, a bit of Vegetable Oil, some Fresh Lime juice, and some fresh Parsley. (Should have used Cilantro but I don't have it in my garden). Most recipes call for some salt, but I didn't want to add any.

The finished salsa was very good, although next time I make it I'll use a pepper with a bit more kick to it. There is no heat at all in this one...


No comments: