Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Crazy Summer



This photo is the perfect visual proof of the crazy summer weather we have had here in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states. Cool and rainy and windy conditions have resulted in reduced and delayed crops, especially Tomatoes. It is almost August 1st and I still do not have a ripe tomato! These conditions have also contributed to the devastating spread of Late Blight that is reeking havoc on Tomato and Potato crops.

And yet, there is always something that will manage to thrive when other crops are suffering. This season that applies to Strawberries. I typically do not have much success with Strawberries because they do not get enough direct sun in May, and then it gets too hot by the time June rolls around. This year has been more like London weather around here, and as a result, I am currently swimming in berries! Not even the rabbits can keep up with the abundance and so I am enjoying a nice bonus on a daily basis. I picked these berries this morning.... July 29th. I have never picked berries this late in the summer, and there are plenty more green berries out there.

So while I patiently wait out the arrival of red tomatoes I will continue to enjoy the pleasures of picking Strawberries in what will soon be August!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good morning Christopher! it is so nice to pick strawberries ;-) The fruit not only look wonderful but taste good too. I wish I could do the same. They are so sweet and juicy when eaten fresh. We can only plant strawberries here at the highlands (cooler temperature). Enjoy the strawberries :-D

Christopher Paquette said...

Thanks Stephanie!

Jo said...

My strawberries have all finished now, but I'm the same with my tomatoes, nothing even looking to be on the turn yet, they're still all well and truly green.
We had a thunderstorm this morning, but it brightened up a little this afternoon.

MacSmiley said...

Good weather for lettuce, too.

Christopher Paquette said...

Same here Jo.... nothing even remotely pinkish.


MacSmiley... very true!

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Hey, at least you got to eat your strawberries. An oppossum has been stealing my unripe berries off my plants. Grrr.

saturday's child said...

Wow, this is beautiful bounty. I had no idea until reading this how crazy backwards the summer has been up north.
I guess on the bright side, you'll have lots of fresh tomatoes later than usual, maybe into the Autumn.

Christopher Paquette said...

Sharon- The tomatoes are finally starting to ripen. I had my first harvest yesterday, and they were delicious! I would guess I am 3 weeks behind last season, but also find that the fruit is generally smaller and less plentiful.