Wednesday, July 1, 2009

free grounds...

I've mentioned this before on this blog, but it is worth a reminder that you can walk into any Starbucks coffee shop and ask for used coffee grounds for the garden. This morning I scored two nice sized bags! Adding coffee grounds to your garden soil adds Nitrogen and acts as a pest preventer...

thank you Starbucks!





Walking around the garden tonight I noticed the first real tomato on one of my seed started Amish heirlooms...

Amish baby




... and a rare sight in my garden. A juicy red strawberry! Almost every ripe strawberry gets eaten by the squirrels and skunks, so finding a ripe one for myself is a real treat!

a rare find

1 comment:

Jean said...

Good tip on the coffee grounds from Starbucks. I put the grounds in my compost pile (when I'm lucky enough to beat the other gardener's to Starbucks). The grounds work a wonder, not just adding nutrients, but helps loosen up the compost too.