Sunday, July 5, 2009

Turnip Miso Soup

A friend of mine asked me what I do with Turnips. My quick answer would be that I simply steam them and then toss with a little butter and black pepper. How can you go wrong? But here is another way to use Turnips in a Miso soup where the diced Turnips substitute for Tofu and the Turnip greens substitute for the seaweed that would typically be found in Miso soup.



The only thing you will need for this soup is some Miso paste, some chili sauce, and some chicken or vegetable stock. For Miso soup I would normally use a vegetable or mushroom stock, but all I had on hand was chicken stock...








Start by cooking down some onions and garlic (here I am using Garlic Scapes) in some oil...





Then add about a tablespoon of Chili sauce. You can skip this if you want a milder tasting Miso. This Chili sauce will definitely add some heat to the soup...





After the onions have turned translucent, add some diced yellow squash and turnips...






Then add chopped Turnip Greens...





Let these ingredients cook down a bit...




Add about a cup of stock and a good dollop of Miso paste...





Add water as needed and gently simmer until the vegetables are tender. Do not allow Miso soup to boil... just a low gentle heat...





This is a wonderful version of Miso soup... Enjoy!


1 comment:

saturday's child said...

Yay. What a wonderfully simple recipe. Now I know what to do with turnips other than mash them. thanks.