Monday, June 8, 2009

CSA Week 2

Last week half of my share went to the 2 quarts of Strawberries I got. This week I concentrated on all veggies.... 3 heads of lettuce, 1 lb Broccoli, 2 bunches of Red Radishes, 1 bunch of Garlic Scrapes, 1 bunch of Kale, and the freebie extra of the week was Black Radishes.(I grabbed them up because they were so good last week) Quite a haul! Oh, and of course another dozen eggs. The eggs were laid yesterday. They say that by participating in a CSA you will end up trying some varieties of produce you wouldn't normally buy at the grocery store. I have found that to be true even in the second week. I had never eaten Garlic Scrapes or Black Radishes before, and I ended up getting them both again for the second week in a row because I loved them both.




Tonight's dinner made from some of the produce I brought home today. Steamed Red and Black Radishes and Radish Greens, over some re-heated Organic Brown Rice with scrambled Fresh Farm Eggs. Salt, Pepper, a little butter and a drizzle of Pearl River Bridge Soy Sauce.
These radishes were in the ground this morning! Both the Black and Red radishes are very strong and peppery when eaten raw, but steaming them produces a nice mild and almost nutty flavor. I could detect the faintest earthy flavor to the Radish greens that only comes from produce that is straight out of the soil. That flavor is impossible to achieve from store bought produce.


No comments: